Mahavir preached that right faith (Samyak-Darshana), right knowledge (Samyak-Gyan), and right conduct (Samyak-Charitra) together is the real path to attain the liberation of one's self.
At the heart of right conduct for Jains lie the five great vows:
- Nonviolence (Ahinsa) - Not to cause harm to any living beings.
- Truthfulness (Satya) - To speak the harmless truth only .
- Non-stealing (Achourya) - Not to take anything not properly given.
- Chastity (Brahmacharya) - Not to indulge in sensual pleasure .
- Non-possession/ Non-attachment (Aparigraha) - Complete detachment from people, places, and material things.